Thursday, December 10, 2009

You Are So Gay.

"You are so gay." this is common used phrased that is used among us college students. It is used when someone does something you do not agree with. For example the other day one of my teammates was singing a song called "Party In The USA" by Miley Cyrus, and another of my teammates felt like that it was immature of him to sing that song and used this infamous phrase. I did not say anything but i for sure thought about it and I ask myself, "Whats so Homosexual about that." I have heard this phrase alot growing and I do not quite get it. Saying “That’s so gay,” is a common mistake for “That’s so dumb.” No longer does “gay” signify a joyous sensation or even always relate to homosexuality, but jumps right to the insulting position to insinuate stupidity. Well, if “gay” now means stupid, but gay also refers to homosexuality, then what are people really saying: homosexuals are crazy and stupid? It is doubtful that people even do this simple sequence when they include “gay” in their everyday vocabulary, otherwise it may not be as prevalent. The lack of thought in conversation is even more pathetic than saying it purposely. A key concept in conversation is thinking before speaking, but that apparently is no longer the trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment